State Policy Description
Policy Components Questions
- 1. Does the state's portfolio standard include a carve-out? Yes
- 2. Does the state's carve-out include interim targets? Yes
- 3. Does the carve-out include multiple renewable energy resources? Yes
- 4. Does policy apply to other types of utilities besides investor-owned utilities? No
- 5. Does the state's carve-out apply to more than one customer class, or are there kW (system size) tiers? Yes
Policy Component information last updated July 30 2018
While Renewable Portfolio Standards (RPSs) require a specific percentage of utility sales or a specific megawatt hour (MWh) capacity to be provided by renewable resources by a specific date, many times these standards do not advance solar, distributed, or customer-sited renewable resources. As a result, many states have implemented legislation to carve-out a percentage of their generation for distributed generation (DG). DG carve-outs have also been used as a component of RPS to advance DG with or without specifying a technology (like solar, for example). For more information, see the full policy brief.
For more information on the components of the policy see the full policy brief.