State Policy Description
Policy Components Questions
- 1. Does the state's RPS include a carve-out? Yes
- 2. Does the state's carve-out include interim targets? Yes
- 3. Does the carve-out support the development of multiple renewable energy resources? Yes
- 4. Does the carve-out apply to all electric providers? Yes
- 5. Does the state's carve-out target more than one customer class, or are there system size tiers? Yes
Policy Component information last updated July 02 2021
While renewable portfolio standards (RPSs) specify a percentage of utility sales or a specific megawatt hour (MWh) capacity to be provided by renewable energy resources by a specific date, sometimes these standards do not advance distributed or customer-sited renewable resources (e.g. distributed solar). As a result, many states promote distributed resources through ‘carve-outs’ and / or ‘multipliers’. Carve-outs require that a certain percentage of the generation used to meet the RPS come from distributed generation (DG). Multipliers promote investment in DG by increasing the resource’s value for meeting an RPS. For more information, see the full policy brief.
For more information on the components of the policy see the full policy brief.