State Policy Description
Policy Components Questions
- 1. Does the state have a mandatory utility green power program? Yes
- 2. Does the mandatory program apply to more than one utility type? Yes
- 3. Are utilities that offer a green power program prohibited from opting out of or reducing their compliance requirements under the state's portfolio standard? Yes
- 4. Does a utility voluntarily offer a green power option in the state? Yes
- 5. Is a community choice aggregation (CCA) program in the state offering renewable energy? No
Policy Component information last updated July 30 2018
25 years ago only a few utilities offered customers the opportunity to voluntarily purchase “green power” from renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. Today, utilities across 47 states offer green power and some states have since required utilities to offer this option though often customers must pay a premium over that of prevailing rates to purchase green power, some communities offer green power packages at a cost savings. For more information on the components of the policy see the full policy brief.
For more information on the components of the policy see the full policy brief.